Following on from the Japan emergency contact numbers supplied by our sister site HostelBookers, find out how you can help with the Japanese earthquake and tsunami relief efforts…
- If you live in Japan, help rescue workers find people you’ve spotted in need by plotting their location using mapping tool Ushahidi.
- If you’re looking for someone missing, or if you know the location of someone missing, enter their details into Google’s people finder tool.
- UK: the British Red Cross is the key aid organisation collecting donations.
- UK: Save the Children UK gives aid to kids affected and is taking donations online.
- UK: Shelterbox delivers essential supplies to those displaced by natural disasters and is taking general donations online.
- USA: the American Red Cross is taking donations via SMS from the US: text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- USA: the Salvation Army is taking donations online or via SMS from the US: text JAPAN or QUAKE to 80888 to make a $10 donation – respond YES when you receive a “thank you” message.
- Donate $5, $10, or $25 to support International Medical Corps’ emergency relief efforts via Groupon.
- Buy Lady Gaga’s We Pray For Japan bracelet – the whole $5 goes into relief aid, and you can add an additional donation on top of that.
- Medical workers and volunteer administrative workers can join up with Doctors Without Borders to help provide relief.
- Volunteer with International Medical Corps as an emergency response worker or an administrative worker.
- Donate to Animal Refuge Kansai, which expects to receive a huge influx of homeless animals.
- Donate to World Vets, an organisation that provides veterinary care to animal victims of disaster. They’re sending a first-response team to Japan.
Thanks to NASA Goddard Photo and Video for the image off Flickr.